Sign in to follow this  
Corey

Medal of Honor Ban in UK?

Corey

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/111/1115044p1.html

It is a rare occasion that you see a game get banned

UK Defence Secretary Liam Fox has joined the growing chorus criticizing EA's forthcoming Medal of Honor, a game that takes place amidst the ongoing conflict in Afghanistan.

"It's shocking that someone would think it acceptable to recreate the acts of the Taliban," Fox said, "At the hands of the Taliban, children have lost fathers and wives have lost husbands."

"I am disgusted and angry," Fox continued, "It's hard to believe any citizen of our country would wish to buy such a thoroughly un-British game. I would urge retailers to show their support for our armed forces and ban this tasteless product."

Medal of Honor has also come in for criticism from Fox News for its subject matter. "We've just come off of the worst month of casualties in the whole war," anchor Karen Meredith said in a recent report, "and this game is going to be released in October - so families who are burying their children are going to be seeing this, and playing this game."

While games drawing upon contemporary battles are no new thing, few have been as explicit as Medal of Honor which features multiplayer modes that draw upon the conflict and that have come in for criticism from fellow developers. "I find it quite unsettling with Medal of Honor," Codemasters' Sion Lenton, producer on Operation Flashpoint games, "I'm not sure if I want to play as the Taliban shooting American soldiers. That's a live conflict and you have to treat it with maximum respect."

EA has hit back at the comments, telling IGN "Medal of Honor is a highly authentic depiction of the soldier's experience in Afghanistan – matching US forces against the Taliban in today's war.

"Multi-player combat is a long-standing, common and popular feature of videogames. In multi-player, teams assume the identities of combatants on both sides of the conflict. Many popular videogames allow players to assume the identity of enemies including Nazis and terrorists. In the multi-player levels of Medal of Honor, teams will assume the identity of both US forces and the Taliban.

The Sunday Times story on Medal of Honor contains inaccuracies. For one, Medal of Honor does not allow players to kill British soldiers. British troops do not feature in the game."

Medal of Honor's producer Greg Goodrich has also defended the game, telling IGN, "Medal of Honor has always been historical fiction. Since it was created back in '99 it's always told the soldier's story. The war has always been a backdrop in the vein of Saving Private Ryan where it's a band of fictional characters in a historical event. There are a lot of specific battles that have been spoken about, but for this MoH we thought we'd focus on the soldier's story, the brotherhood, and the camaraderie regardless of the timeframe."

Fox's comments haven't been met with approval by the government as the culture department has distanced itself the statement. "Dr Fox was expressing a personal view and we understand why some people might find the subject matter of the game offensive," a spokesperson told MCV.

"There is a ratings system in place which exists to categorise games appropriately, in this case the game in question is rated 18 so should only be sold to, and played by, adults."

Medal of Honor is due out this October.

Edited by Kill Elmo2

AfroDan

spastics that dont play video games lol

i suppose we should stop making ww2 games since jews still exist right :rolleyes:

Ownedu

Lol, Fuck medal of honor.

Satan

So wait.. They allow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGk2TojOd-4

A film that makes terrorism funny? The same thing that is KILLING British & American forces?

I swear to fucking god my country is so dumb, I'm still buying it though.. FUCK THE LAW! :russianroulette:

Flynn

spastics that dont play video games lol

i suppose we should stop making ww2 games since jews still exist right :rolleyes:

Satan

- So They're ok with Russian terrorists killing American soldiers but when it comes to the British soldiers they spaz out.. FML I wanted that game to...

`Jord

It's not going to happen.

Patrick

Like anyone buys games anymore.

dereadytobie

uk is almost as fucked up as usa

Edited by Bereadytodie