Sign in to follow this  
4kyiyw4k

Sony Hands Out PSP2 Dev Kits

4kyiyw4k

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/PlayStation-Portable-PSP-PSP2-Cell-CPU,news-8126.html

Looks like Sony is gearing up to take on Nintendo's 3DS.

Last week Shaun Himmerick of Netherrealm Studios revealed that Sony's rumored PSP2 was indeed real, and that the developer actually had a working prototype in-house. Himmerick made the surprising revelation during an interview with Industry Gamers after he was asked if the new Mortal Kombat would make its way to Nintendo's 3DS or Sony's current PSP.

Now there are reports that Sony has handed PSP2 development kits to a number of key in-house and third-party studios for a "significant launch window line-up." While industry sources weren't named, reports over the last few months have indicated that Sony wants to make a big impact at launch by spreading the PSP2 tech widely across the industry.

Currently little is known about the upcoming handheld. However unlike the PSPgo, the PSP2 will likely feature a UMD optical drive--and not be a download-only device--according to a related statement by PlayStation CEO Kazuo Hirai. A report released back in May also said that the device was "****ing powerful," that it was based on a four-core Cell CPU. There's also talk that it will have two cameras--one forward and one backward facing--and a possible 3G connection.

Originally it was believed that the PSP2 would launch in Q4 2010. However since the device didn't make an appearance at E3 2010, it's believed that the PSP2 will launch in 2011--somewhere in the same timeframe as Nintendo's North American 3DS launch (which debuts in Japan in November).

The original PSP launched in North America on March 24, 2005. Could the PSP2 see a possible March (2011) release too?

f2kbp1.jpg

Will only get if there's a new Project Diva game coming out for it.

AfroDan

looks sleek as hell, just wished the joysticks and the dpad/buttons got switched for that ps2 controller feel

if it can play ps2 downloadable games ill buy it lol [that is if theres a way to burn ur current one as an iso :D ]

x 13elieve x

looks cool, id never use, got an itouch/droidX + laptop... so ye

Corey

looks sleek as hell, just wished the joysticks and the dpad/buttons got switched for that ps2 controller feel

if it can play ps2 downloadable games ill buy it lol [that is if theres a way to burn ur current one as an iso :D ]

Thats what I said! They need the controller joystick feel but you do what you can I guess.

4kyiyw4k

oh picture's just a possible mockup, nothing set in stone atm

Splodge

I still use my PSP lol (Still got the orig fat version). The amount of times I've replaced its screen / gotten cracked firmware on it is uncountable. Will probably wait a few months after release to get one of these. Wont be buying it unless somebody cracks the firmware so we can download games onto it :>

Aceman

I don't see the point in making a second version...

4kyiyw4k

I don't see the point in making a second version...

this like saying there's no point in making cars better than a model t

4kyiyw4k

:# nice any idea on price?

The original launched at $250 USD, so I'd expect something similar or around $50 more.