Sign in to follow this  
Sawcats

Building muscle

Maggie295

What part of Connecticut are you from?

Your post comes off as a bit confusing in terms of the results you're going after. I assume you want to just be bigger and have more muscle definition? Samuel posted a pretty good general "guide" but at 138 pounds 5'8" and 3.4% BF (I don't even know how you got down that low, that is insanely low bf% but if it's true I applaud your effort I suppose) you really need to gain weight. A normal person can gain 10-20 pounds of muscle a year and with your height 150 pounds isn't really going to make you look bigger.

And honestly, no girl (I assume by your post that you want to impress the ladies which is cool) at whatever college you choose to go to is going to want to see a skinny little shit who thinks they're hot shit. You're just going to look like a tool. I don't think there's any guidelines you need to follow in regards to your diet or workout "routine" and the only advice I think you need to be given is to bulk up. I assume by "muscle you can see" that you want abs. Your abs are the hardest muscle to get to show but it shouldn't be to much of a problem for you if you're 3.4% bf (again, that's pretty ridiculous, the lowest I've ever seen or heard of is maybe 4% and that's pushing it) but building "mass muscle" will be unrealistic if you plan on enrolling in college in the fall and are starting to bulk up now.

I think you might be confused or at least unrealistic in what you really want to achieve (I do not mean this as a flame or anything) nor am I trying to sound like a know-it-all. I think your best bet would be to gain some mass and by that I do not mean just muscle, you are far to skinny to even consider looking big, bulk or having any real muscle definition (again, when I say muscle definition I mean noticeable definition, not being a stick and having it show that way).

If I had to give you any advice it would be just to gain weight. Contrary to popular belief there's no real set routine or diet that will make you look "bigger" or whatever. Every person's body is different and only you know how you truly feel when you eat certain foods and when you exercise certain muscles. Gain weight first, (I'd probably work my way up to 170 pounds at your height), cut afterwards (make sure you do a clean cut, you'll need to get rid of all the shit in your body after gaining a lot of weight in a short period of time), and lift as hard as you can. Again please remember that this will all take time and is in no way, shape or form going to work for you this summer.

That's just what I'd do if I was in your position. Gaining weight is just like gaining muscle and getting big: just eat. If you want to get big: just lift. As for what lifts to do you can really do anything but standard shit that you probably already know about are things like: benching (incline/decline, if you're weaker/not comfortable with that yet try machine bench press), rows, dumbbell row, curls, deadlifts (if you're not comfortable doing them try trapbar deadlifts, they're easier and less taxing on your muscles), squats, lat pull downs, and I'm a huge fan of calisthenics + free weights.

Edit: As for supplements, a protein supplement is all you need. Make sure it's 100% whey protein, though. Oh, and Jack3d is good if you need that extra boost of energy to get you through your workouts. I doubt you do but if you have a case of hypertension or any heart/kidney related illness/disease don't take it. And like Zero Fear said, take a multi vitamin no matter what you choose to do.

Nvm lol

Edited by Maggie295

Steven

supplements do help. you definitely need to rotate what you're doing daily. to much of the same thing not only can harm you but you body will get used to it. if you really wanna bulk up i would do alot of upper body stuff like hang cleans, bench presses, arm workouts etc. if you are planning on doing more cross country or just want to strengthen your lower body i would do some squats, leg curls, calf raises etc. also i would do medium repetition workouts. for example not the highest weight you can do once but like a little lower for more repetitions. that will give you a muscle figure where as the highest weight possible once or twice will make you stronger but not necessarily show it. and i would do alot of ab work outs too (there are some that incorporate both into one workout).

as for what to eat i would stick to alot of carbs and protein stuff (pasta, steak, hamburgers etc). you seriously need to put some weight on first. 3.4% is a very risky weight to be at and is pretty unhealthy. a good body fat composition is around 8-10% which is healthy and you will still have a nice figure.

Edited by Steven

Steven

You won't gain any muscle with 3.4% body fat. Increase the amount of calories you consume.

My long ass post in one sentence, good work brother (and I still have no idea how you are 3.4% bf)

I assume he is addicted to some heavy drugs to be 3.4% bf.

he was in wrestling and cross country for 4 years. i can see how he is 3.4% bf. you should see what their coaches make them do.

h0z

What part of Connecticut are you from?

Your post comes off as a bit confusing in terms of the results you're going after. I assume you want to just be bigger and have more muscle definition? Samuel posted a pretty good general "guide" but at 138 pounds 5'8" and 3.4% BF (I don't even know how you got down that low, that is insanely low bf% but if it's true I applaud your effort I suppose) you really need to gain weight. A normal person can gain 10-20 pounds of muscle a year and with your height 150 pounds isn't really going to make you look bigger.

And honestly, no girl (I assume by your post that you want to impress the ladies which is cool) at whatever college you choose to go to is going to want to see a skinny little shit who thinks they're hot shit. You're just going to look like a tool. I don't think there's any guidelines you need to follow in regards to your diet or workout "routine" and the only advice I think you need to be given is to bulk up. I assume by "muscle you can see" that you want abs. Your abs are the hardest muscle to get to show but it shouldn't be to much of a problem for you if you're 3.4% bf (again, that's pretty ridiculous, the lowest I've ever seen or heard of is maybe 4% and that's pushing it) but building "mass muscle" will be unrealistic if you plan on enrolling in college in the fall and are starting to bulk up now.

I think you might be confused or at least unrealistic in what you really want to achieve (I do not mean this as a flame or anything) nor am I trying to sound like a know-it-all. I think your best bet would be to gain some mass and by that I do not mean just muscle, you are far to skinny to even consider looking big, bulk or having any real muscle definition (again, when I say muscle definition I mean noticeable definition, not being a stick and having it show that way).

If I had to give you any advice it would be just to gain weight. Contrary to popular belief there's no real set routine or diet that will make you look "bigger" or whatever. Every person's body is different and only you know how you truly feel when you eat certain foods and when you exercise certain muscles. Gain weight first, (I'd probably work my way up to 170 pounds at your height), cut afterwards (make sure you do a clean cut, you'll need to get rid of all the shit in your body after gaining a lot of weight in a short period of time), and lift as hard as you can. Again please remember that this will all take time and is in no way, shape or form going to work for you this summer.

That's just what I'd do if I was in your position. Gaining weight is just like gaining muscle and getting big: just eat. If you want to get big: just lift. As for what lifts to do you can really do anything but standard shit that you probably already know about are things like: benching (incline/decline, if you're weaker/not comfortable with that yet try machine bench press), rows, dumbbell row, curls, deadlifts (if you're not comfortable doing them try trapbar deadlifts, they're easier and less taxing on your muscles), squats, lat pull downs, and I'm a huge fan of calisthenics + free weights.

Edit: As for supplements, a protein supplement is all you need. Make sure it's 100% whey protein, though. Oh, and Jack3d is good if you need that extra boost of energy to get you through your workouts. I doubt you do but if you have a case of hypertension or any heart/kidney related illness/disease don't take it. And like Zero Fear said, take a multi vitamin no matter what you choose to do.

wat.

Sawcats

You won't gain any muscle with 3.4% body fat. Increase the amount of calories you consume.

My long ass post in one sentence, good work brother (and I still have no idea how you are 3.4% bf)

he was in wrestling and cross country for 4 years. i can see how he is 3.4% bf. you should see what their coaches make them do.

I lost 7 pounds in under 4 hours to make weight for a tourny. And I lost in the last 20 seconds of the finals.

:|

Mitch

Apple rune pretty much anwsered him

Bacon040

goodluck

PolandPillowCase

you're asking runescape players for exercising advise? smh

dereadytobie

3.4% body fat.

http://www.anorexiahelp.net/

If you're 3.4% and not ripped then you have anorexia so you should seek professional medical help instead.

Edited by Bereadytodie

Aceman

I'm buff sa fuck

Barlow120

plenty of carbs and protein

slam the gym on cardio then go weights then slam the cardio then take it easy and do weights rest of the week legs one day arms another back etc etc

Flynn

3.4% body fat.

http://www.anorexiahelp.net/

If you're 3.4% and not ripped then you have anorexia so you should seek professional medical help instead.

HAHAHA 3%.. yea okay..

Personally, if the kid wants my opinion.He probably has an ectomorphic metabolism so he should just full out bulk and maybe try a mass gainer.Make sure you're eating ~150g protein, shouldn't be hard at all.Hit the weights consistently and maybe try a structured program such as Starting Strength.SS works great for twigs.

You could also try a 4 or 5 day split, just make sure though that you're getting your compound exercises in such as deadlift,squat, and pull ups.

Edited by Flynn

h0z

I lost 7 pounds in under 4 hours to make weight for a tourny. And I lost in the last 20 seconds of the finals.

lmao dude lay off the laxatives

Gig

I have been wrestling since I was in kindergarten and I am going to be a Junior. I know first hand lol.

Zero Fear1

Just take a multi and keep lifting heavy, good luck with your goals in 2010.